Lovin' it Nappy: My Sisterlocks Journey

My journey of going from relaxer, to natural to Sisterlocks. Come along with me and learn how to love that which God gave you naturally!!

Friday, February 15, 2008



My lastest updo!! My daughter once again helped me create a fabulous style. I love this look but don't usually have the patience to do it myself. I am so excited that I am coming up on my two year lock anniversary!! I am constantly getting compliments and have had so many people recently recognize that I indeed have Sister Locks. Several women have stated that they are ready for SL's and I have passed on my consultant's name. One thing I must admit though is I hate having my locks tightened. It usually takes about 5 hours for either of my two consultants to do my head. I don't know if I have an unusally big head or lots of locks. I've never bothered to count them. After about 3 hours, my butt hurts (I don't know why I have lots of padding) and my neck starts to get stiff. The process itself even hurts my scalp. I think that since I don't do a lot of manipulation of my hair on a daily basis that I have become "tender headed". I don't know exactly what it is but besides the good company and the luxury of having someone shampoo and condition my hair, I don't look forward to the process. Is this true for anyone else?

Well, I've been tagged and its been awhile so here goes:

1. I teach nursing at both the graduate and undergraduate level at Case Western Reserve University.

2. I love to work out, but this wasn't always true.

3. While I think beauty comes in all sizes, I certainly was not healthy when I was a size 22. I am only 5'2" and that was tough on my joints not to mention I was short of breath with most any activity. I lost 50 lbs about 8 years ago. I have kept most of it off, but trying to lose about 15 more lbs in the next several months.

4. I am a romantic and love weddings. I have coordinated a few and done flowers for many.

5. I have a red Turbo charged, 6 speed Audi. I didn't set out to get a red car, but it suits me well in my mid life.

6. Last but not least I am contemplating returning to school as the student to persue my doctorate degree. I am praying and seeking the Lord's guidance on this one folks.

I know I have to tag 6 others and I will do that on my next post. It is late and my hubby is snoring next to me. Good night and God bless

9 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger NappTown said…

    LOL! I know what you mean about sitting for the retightenings. I thought I was the only one that it took 4-5 hours to get done. I am not sure of the amount of locks that I have either. My neck cramps up and my butt! We have a lot of things in common from weight loss to snoring husbands.:-) I am currently trying to lose 40 pounds. Let me know if you have any good weight loss secrets. Good to hear from you.
    Have a good one.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Goodnapps said…

    So good to see you posting again. I feel exactly where you are coming from with the retighenings and updos. I want to wear an updo so bad lately but I am so lazy all I can muster are braidouts.

    Good luck with going back to school and I hope we will be getting together very soon.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Well, I see that I am in good company when it comes to dreading those tightenings.

    Goodnapps, I will have to follow up on our upcoming gathering. Someone volunteered to host, but I just don't remember who. I will have to go back at the list and see if I can figure it out.

    Much love ladies...

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Blogger Brina7 said…

    Your hair looks great! I live outside of Chicago. Do you mind saying who your consultant is? I'm going to be getting my sisterlocks in this spring and I'm having a hard deciding who to choose. Why do you like your consultant and how did you find her? I've been to the Sisterlock website already.
    Thanks

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger NappTown said…

    Thanks for the diet tips. Everyone has told me that in order to keep it off it has to be a lifestyle change. Thanks again!
    Stay blessed.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Lakia said…

    Luvin the updo!

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Amba said…

    What a gorgeous updo. You look great!!

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Sogolocs said…

    First of all your locks look wonderful. As for the tightenings, I love getting my hair done. It doesn't hurt while I am there or after. I was very careful on who I chose to do it because I am what you consider tenderheaded. What I realized is that it is not the tenderness, but the technician. I wore braids for years, and some braiders killed me while, I was able to sleep while others worked. So I believe it is the lockitian and not the client or being tenderheaded. It takes my loctician about 4 hrs. I love it and just could go to sleep if we weren't talking so much.
    Blessings and enjoy every moment of your journey

     

Post a Comment

<< Home